It may be tempting to jam them into a closet, stuff them into boxes, and forget about them until next spring. But your clothes will look fresher and newer next season if you follow these helpful tips:
- Dry clean or wash them first to avoid attracting moths and other pests with invisible stains and body oils left on the fabric.
- Keep them in a dry, dark, cool and clean place to avoid fading and mildew.
- Fold on seams to avoid creasing. Resist the temptation to overstuff the box, closet or suitcase; it will cause wrinkles.
- Avoid wrapping items in plastic bags. Otherwise, air doesn’t circulate. Instead, place items in cotton pillowcases or use acid-free tissue paper, which won’t discolor or stain fabric.
- Skip the mothballs; use cedar blocks or herbal sachets instead.